About Me

My photo
Bern, Kansas, United States
I have been teaching for 19 years. My husband and I have two daughters,and live north of Bern, KS.I currently teach 7-9 English,7-8 Reading, and Journalism at Pawnee City. Computers make me a bit apprehensive. I do use them at school, but mainly as research tools and word processors. This year however, I have started to add power points and have gotten rid of my "overhead". Ialso started my students journaling on ANGEL, and am getting more proficient with my mimio board. My home computer is a PC, but at school we use MACS. This can get confusing, but luckily, my girls are "PC's" and can usually talk me through any major errors at home. Getting my Master's is something I have always wanted to accomplished. The on-line cohort program was too good to pass up, and after a collegue of mine said she'd do it if I did...well, here I am! In addition to the higher salary, having a Masters will allow me to teach early entry college courses at my school. This is exciting for me, because even though I LOVE junior high,after nineteen years I am ready for something a little more interesting to teach than "young adolescent fiction."

Monday, March 16, 2009

Funny video on Powerpoints

http://www.teachertube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=3e2d61891b1e4051ef75



I chose this video titled "How NOT to use Power Point" because I thought it was very funny and very true. I realize we are taking a technology class and the whole point is to add technology to our classrooms, but this was just too full of satire to ignore. As I watched it, I just laughed out loud, because I myself am so guilty of the aspects of "power point' overload the comedian is referring too. (ESPECIALLY THE TOO WORDY ONE.) I hope nobody is offended by this and can see the humor in it and possibly within ourselves as teachers who are struggling to implement technology into our classes and everyday world! Also, there are a few profanity words thrown in, so if this bothers you, don't watch! In summary, if we can't laugh at ourselves then maybe we shouldn't be in education.

2 comments:

  1. Cindy, I also found this video funny. The guy had great points. While I was watching I thought I need to send this to my Language Arts teachers. The points he made occur frequently with our 8th graders when they create power points and do presentations. They may even need to see this video. :)Not only are our students guilty I must also admit I also am a little wordy.
    Jordon Dzingle

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great, I think I will use it in the technology in-services we will be having this fall.

    ReplyDelete

My Girls

My Girls
Marissa and Sabrina sharing the "Love" after 2 days driving to North Carolina!